Saturday, October 28, 2006

Na nun babo imnida

I've drunk quite a bit since moving to Shiwa, for me at least - one late night per week usually. I drank very little in NZ after leaving university, but the teacher hangouts here are all bars. It's probably also a function of finishing work at 10pm three nights a week. There's not much left to do other than drink or find an open restaurant. Otherwise, it's movies, internet and tv.

This week was Dee's final week at work so the teachers went out for some drinks before she departs. I was warned that my superviser, Bonnie, is a scary person to drink alcohol with, and like a storm warning for Southland farmers, it didn't really prepare me for it. A typical night of drinking with Koreans involves a lot of eating too. Dishes and bottles of soju kept arriving and, Bonnie having plonked herself beside me, my glass was filled constantly. I was soon into an offensive drunk routine (I won't write some of the things I said), so that was fun and disturbing. I don't really enjoy the aftermath of being offensive anymore for various reasons. Depends who I'm offending though, as I love being offensive jokes, as do others.

So we ended up in a Noribong, karaoke again, and I kicked off proceedings with Funky Town. Everyone dug it, and the next thing you know, people are on the table singing for gold! Bonnie sang some Korean pop love songs and Mr Lee, my boss, jumped up to do a few hits. From there, memory evades me, although I recall eating yet again at a sit on the floor restaurant nearby (within minutes, Brian was lying down, eyes closed). And still, Bonnie was pouring everyone soju. I crawled home before sunlight, I'm sure, unless my eyes were closed, and woke up midday-ish with a massive hangover.

Brian and I had lunch at the local fast food joint and I inched my way slowly to work for a short saturday shift. Luckily I didn't have to teach anyone under 14, so the students were all quiet as a mouse. Talking classes where all they do is avoid talking.

Here's an interesting sidenote: My class planning fell apart because students didn't talk, so what did I do? Well, I started talking. It seems I can prattle on about anything, anytime. One class was supposed to be talking about cars, and wouldn't you know it, the 2 girls in class don't have much interest in cars. Well, that makes 3 of us. But to kick off discussion, I talk about SUV's and driving along riverbeds, next thing we're (I'm) talking about fishing and hunting, then food, then cooking. Class goes great guns (well, I enjoyed it). I reckon I'd be killer at word association football cup zinadine algeria africa famine hungry chips fish swimming bikinis models cameras shooting olympics beijing china chinglish sign word association football soccer socceroos....

Let's move on. As I left work, my boss, Mr Lee said it was great to go to a Noribong with me. All entertainment, no talent. Thanks, Mr Lee, see you on monday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home