Thursday, November 23, 2006

Black Heart 4

Do the things you hate to become the person you want to be.

2 days of my Hapkido classes and, as you'd expect, Kwan Jang Nim (Master) is trying to kill me. my legs are in painful rigidity yet could give way at any time. my neck and back are feeling the effects of continuous tumbling. so yeah, regretting it already. Starting this has got me thinking of healthier food, which hopefully will eventuate withe me EATING healthier food.

And, I got a haircut, an experience in itself, as my hair was quite a mop. The woman cutting hair, however, seemed ill at ease about cutting it short. I pointed to a picture of a guy with hair like I wanted, but she just wouldn't cut it that short. No matter what I told her, she'd leave it too long. I gave up and smiled, paid the fee (cheap) and walked out. I may have to go into Seoul to get an english speaker, if I stay picky. The kids at school laughed and also got angry. Their nickname for me is Mabagi, as when I pinned my hair back, I looked like a famous Korean comedian guy. Now I'm "Mabagi Teacher" but they'll think of something else soon.

To be honest, I don't want to write about the work negatives. Despite wanting to address them, history suggests other efforts have proved futile. Maybe I should just accept them and get on with life. This week has, for want of a better term, been absolutely meh (reasons undisclosed).

The job I signed up for is, quite literally, NOT the job I am charged with. I could begin complaining, but that's a waste of breath. The biggest issue I have to deal with is being angry about the situation. Staying angry isn't working. I gotta try something else.

5 Comments:

Blogger odd-one-out said...

Found your blog by reading comments on T.Lee's. Hope you don't mind strangers commenting ;-)
Know exactly how it feels to have a job that is nothing like you were told it would be - took me 8 months to get around to quit mine and head for something bigger and better. Now I found a job I love, but had to leave my country and friends behind for that. I like the way you cope with killing bordom - found myself turning to the net more then ever as well, but that's not the real deal, now is it? Guess I should follow your example and take part in real life ;-) Hang in there!

3:48 AM  
Blogger the Emperor Fabulous said...

thanks for your comments, you're welcome to do so anytime, especially if they're supportive :p i'm pretty happy with my actions so far, even though i've been in pain all week ;)

i don't have any designs on quitting, although i did have a dream about doing so. would leaving be better than staying angry? i have the feeling it's being avoidant too, cos there's probably a way of dealing with the anger too.
let me know if you find the "real deal"

10:13 AM  
Blogger odd-one-out said...

Dealing with the anger by learning an exhausting, tradiotional defence art sounds like a good thing to do - at least it makes your mind focus on the pain instead of anger else ;-)
Didn't mean to suggest quitting or such! You seem to like what you do, even though it's not what you expected it to be.

2:10 AM  
Blogger the Emperor Fabulous said...

sorry, i did misread your reference to quitting as a slight suggestion, which indicates something about how i'm thinking these days.
i do love a lot of what i do: i get paid well to teach english to kids. when they understand, it's awesome, and can be the best job in the world (to me).

7:28 AM  
Blogger odd-one-out said...

Expressed myself mistakable. Not a native speaker, hence that happens every now and then. Sorry ;-) However, even the greatest job can drive you nuts when the surrounding doesn't suit you. In the end work is only a part of life and what you do right now, filling your sparetime with things you like, will make the whole thing easier. Also making friends, not mere acquaintances, takes time, and for me having friends around has always been a crucial part of feeling comfortable in a place away from home. If you keep observing yourself you'll see if you like it as a whole and if the downsides are an acceptable sacrifice.
Been living out of a suitcase since August and will do so till the end of February, but as soon as I get to my final workplace I'll do the same, trying to start a "normal" life again.
Have fun at school :-)

8:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home